GExperts code formatter is now a little bit more Unicode aware

 Delphi, GExperts  Comments Off on GExperts code formatter is now a little bit more Unicode aware
Jul 112015
 

A new release of my experimental GExperts version is available. I fixed yet another issue with Unicode / UTF-8. It works now with some Arabic strings which got converted to question marks before.

The usual warning applies: My unit tests still work so apparently I haven’t broken too much in the process. I also tested it manually, but only with a limited set of IDEs and only some of the functionality. So you might find new bugs. If you do, please contact me through my G+ profile (see upper right).

The download links are on the Experimental GExperts page as usual.

 Posted by on 2015-07-11 at 16:53

Unicode is hard – harder than I assumed

 Delphi, GExperts  Comments Off on Unicode is hard – harder than I assumed
Jul 112015
 

In my last post I announced that the GExperts code formatter is now Unicode aware. Little did I know. Mohamed Kamel sent me a source file with Arabic strings which still got converted to question marks. So today I have dived into the source code again. I nailed the problem with Arabic strings (and added a new unit test). But I am pretty sure I missed some more.

I’ll release a new version as soon as I got feedback from Mohamed.

Anybody got some source code with Japanese and Chinese strings for me?

 Posted by on 2015-07-11 at 16:30

GExperts code formatter is now Unicode aware

 Delphi, GExperts  Comments Off on GExperts code formatter is now Unicode aware
Jul 082015
 

After getting my Delphi XE8 installation to work again I have released a new experimental GExperts version. It is the first where the code formatter should be fully Unicode aware (for Delphi IDEs supporting Unicode, that is >= 2005). My tests worked and some brave souls also tested it live.

Also, I found and fixed several other Unicode related problems in the regular GExperts code base.

In this process I also found out that most people use UTF-8 encoding for their source code and apparently nobody uses UCS-2 or UCS-4.

So, if you had any problems with the code formatter converting your special characters to question marks, you should update.

The usual warning applies: I did test it, but only with a limited set of IDEs and only some of the functionality. So you might find new bugs. If you do, please contact me through my G+ profile (see upper right).

The download links are on the Experimental GExperts page as usual.

 Posted by on 2015-07-08 at 21:28

Fixing “An Update Subscription … is required …

 Delphi  Comments Off on Fixing “An Update Subscription … is required …
Jul 082015
 

When the Delphi XE8 update1 was released it was also about the time for our company to renew my Delphi subscription. Unfortunately our accounting department fouled up paying the bill so for a short while my subscription was not valid. I knew nothing about this and installed the "Subscription Update". This left me with the following message.
An Update Subscription for Embarcadero Delphi XE8 is required which has expired prior to this release.
"An Update Subscription for Embarcadero Delphi XE8 is required which has expired prior to this release."

Not quite what you want to read when you update your development environment. The first thing I tried was uninstalling Delphi and reinstalling it from the ISO that included update 1. It didn’t help at all.

Then I got sidetracked (work always interferes with fun, doesn’t it 😉 ).

Only last Friday I came around to submitting a support ticket to Embarcadero, describing the issue. The fix turned out to be very easy:

  1. Open the licensemanager.exe from the bin directory
  2. Choose Update
  3. Restart the IDE.

It just worked.

 Posted by on 2015-07-08 at 20:57