GExperts code formatter is now Unicode aware

 Delphi, GExperts  Comments Off on GExperts code formatter is now Unicode aware
Jul 082015
 

After getting my Delphi XE8 installation to work again I have released a new experimental GExperts version. It is the first where the code formatter should be fully Unicode aware (for Delphi IDEs supporting Unicode, that is >= 2005). My tests worked and some brave souls also tested it live.

Also, I found and fixed several other Unicode related problems in the regular GExperts code base.

In this process I also found out that most people use UTF-8 encoding for their source code and apparently nobody uses UCS-2 or UCS-4.

So, if you had any problems with the code formatter converting your special characters to question marks, you should update.

The usual warning applies: I did test it, but only with a limited set of IDEs and only some of the functionality. So you might find new bugs. If you do, please contact me through my G+ profile (see upper right).

The download links are on the Experimental GExperts page as usual.

Fixing “An Update Subscription … is required …

 Delphi  Comments Off on Fixing “An Update Subscription … is required …
Jul 082015
 

When the Delphi XE8 update1 was released it was also about the time for our company to renew my Delphi subscription. Unfortunately our accounting department fouled up paying the bill so for a short while my subscription was not valid. I knew nothing about this and installed the "Subscription Update". This left me with the following message.
An Update Subscription for Embarcadero Delphi XE8 is required which has expired prior to this release.
"An Update Subscription for Embarcadero Delphi XE8 is required which has expired prior to this release."

Not quite what you want to read when you update your development environment. The first thing I tried was uninstalling Delphi and reinstalling it from the ISO that included update 1. It didn’t help at all.

Then I got sidetracked (work always interferes with fun, doesn’t it 😉 ).

Only last Friday I came around to submitting a support ticket to Embarcadero, describing the issue. The fix turned out to be very easy:

  1. Open the licensemanager.exe from the bin directory
  2. Choose Update
  3. Restart the IDE.

It just worked.