“Insufficient Storage Available” and “Unfortunately android keyboard has stopped” on my Samsung Galaxy Note

 Android  Comments Off on “Insufficient Storage Available” and “Unfortunately android keyboard has stopped” on my Samsung Galaxy Note
Jan 252014
 

Yesterday, all of a sudden my smartphone (a Samsung Galaxy Note N7000) started to misbehave. The first thing I noticed was that the battery was down to <15% rather early in the day. I didn't think much about it, just plugged it into the charger and forgot about it. This morning I wanted to put it back into my pocket and noticed that it was now complaining about "Insufficient Storage Available" with the hint to uninstall some apps or widgets. Since I haven't installed anything for a while, apart from the regular updates, I thought that rather strange. Especially since there was lots of space free on the micro sd card. Of course internal storage is always at a premium so that was probably what the shortage was about. It turned out that from the 2 gb internal storage apps used 540 mb and cached data used 35 mb, so where did the other >1.3 gb go?

This answer to a stackverflow question, which interestingly enough is also about a Galaxy Note, offered the solution. Apparently some stupid app writes log files to internal storage and never deletes it. In /data/log I found more than 1500 log files, each around a megabyte in size. I guess that explains where the storage space went. Deleting these files was easy enough since I run a rooted CyanogenMod, so I could just use the installed file manager to do it. That took care of the warning.

Added 2014-12-30: There is another directory with log files in /sdcard/logs

Unfortunately that wasn’t all of it. Another error message kept popping up: “Unfortunately android keyboard (AOSP) has stopped”. I had ignored it until then because I thought it might be caused by the storage problem as well. It probably was but it wasn’t solved by freeing more storage. Even after a reboot of the phone it kept crashing so I had to investigate further. Google turned up this blog post FIXED! – Unfortunately Android Keyboard Has Stopped Solution which caught my interest because of the upper cased “FIXED” in the title. And – wonders of wonders – it actually explained the fix: Clearing cache and data of the “Android keyboard (AOSP)” and “Dictionary Provider” apps solved the issue for me.

So I could finally start assembling the bloody kitchen cabinet which turned out to be much easier than I thought.